At Send a Cow, we value your support and we are committed to protecting your privacy.
We want to help you understand how we use the information we hold about you and how you can get in touch with us about your preferences.
We adhere to all applicable laws concerning the protection of your personal data and in line with your rights as an individual. As part of our data protection policies, you must be 18 years of age or over to make a donation through our website.
Please read the information below to find out more.
- The right to be informed how Personal Data is processed
- The right of access to your Personal Data
- The right to edit and update your personal information
- The right to have your personal information deleted
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to object
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
The personal information we collect may include:
- Title & Name
- Postal address, email address, telephone number and mobile number
- Family & spouse/partner details, relationships to other donors or organisations
- Current interests and activities relevant to Send a Cow’s work and our fundraising
- We will ask you to confirm that you are 18 or over when making a donation through our website. This is to ensure that we do not use the personal information of a minor for marketing purposes.
We also collect and hold information about the contact you make and activities you take part in with Send a Cow and this may consist of:
- Donation details
- Online purchase details
- Event registration/attendance
- Direct Debit details where applicable
- Gift Aid status
- Gifts in Will information
- Details of correspondence sent to you or received from you
- Responses to surveys sent to you
- Any other information provided by yourself that is relevant to your relationship with Send a Cow
Gift AidIn order to claim Gift Aid on your donations from the HMRC, we need to hold records of your name and address, your tax status and donation details. Ensuring this information is accurate ensures that we claim Gift Aid correctly and can increase the value of the donations you give to us.
Financial auditWe need to hold information about donations that you give to us to meet financial auditing requirements but also to help us understand how you support Send a Cow so that we can talk to you about fundraising and supporting our work in a way that is relevant to you.
Areas of interestWe may hold information about your particular areas of interest so we can send information to you about those aspects of our work. For example if you tell us you have a particular link with Kenya, we may then contact you in the future about a new Kenya project we are setting up.
Address informationWe hold your address details so that we can post newsletters, appeals and other information to you. We will also hold your address information on our database so that if you request us to no longer contact you, we can keep a record to ensure we remove you from any mailings in the future.
- News and updates about Send a Cow, such as our twice yearly Lifeline newsletter and monthly e-newsletters.
- Fundraising appeals or to ask you to consider supporting us in other ways such as taking part in events
- Other relevant communications based upon your relationship with Send a Cow
- Informing you of other activities, or events related to Send a Cow such as volunteering, retail and corporate partnerships
- Royal Mail National Change of Address database (NCOA) to ensure that we don’t send mail to old addresses
- Deceased Records (Mortascreen) to ensure that we do not cause upset by contacting somebody who has recently deceased
- Tailoring what we tell you about. We may use existing data about your previous engagement with Send a Cow to find relevant information for particular activities or to tailor communication. Examples might be:
- That you live in a particular postcode catchment near to an event we are holding
- That you previously gave to a match funded appeal (such as DFID Aid Match) which we have the opportunity to repeat
- To send you surveys, and for market research purposes
- Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of our communications with you, including email tracking, which records when an e-newsletter from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message. The data from this tracking is generally used in an aggregated and anonymized form.
- Research to help us understand our donors and potential donors.
- That you are a director of a company with an agricultural focus
- That you are a trustee of a grant making trust that exists to support development work in Africa
- That you are a known philanthropist with an interest in and potential to give to our work
- When you are meeting with our CEO or a trustee or engaging with our Senior Advisory Group
- When you have been referred by an existing high level Send a Cow donor in your peer group who has introduced you to our work and you would like to meet with us
- When you have self-identified through a high level gift or other senior level engagement
- Asking for a donation or an inappropriate level of donation
- Trying to engage you in activities about which you have no interest or no influence
Due diligence researchSend a Cow’s trustees have a duty to ensure that there is no reputational or other risk to the organization in accepting a gift or other support. We may therefore need to carry out research which is necessary to ensure we comply with this duty. For more information on the type of information required and the circumstances when this might apply, you can visit the Charity Commission and refer to Chapter 2, Tool 6: Know your donor
Please contact our Supporter Care team to make any updates to your information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
Supporter Care Team
Send a Cow
Newton St Loe
Ensuring we have the right personal information is really important to us. If you wish to correct any information on you held by Send a Cow please contact us on the details above
If you want to ask us to stop processing your personal data, we may continue to store your data to meet financial and other requirements. We will retain enough of your personal information to ensure that your request can be respected in the future.
If you want us to delete your data, please note that permanently removing your details means that we cannot guarantee to not contact you as we will no longer hold a record of your request.
It is our policy not to sell, trade or rent your personal information to anyone. We do not disclose personal data other than to data processes carrying out work on our behalf under a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Any such companies are acting as approved data processors for Send a Cow, and we retain full responsibility for your personal data. Data processors will act only on our instructions.
Examples of these data processers might be a mailing house for sending out our Lifeline newsletter, our email distribution service (Mailchimp), telephone fundraising agencies working on our behalf (www.qtsfundraising.co.uk) or data analysis agencies.
We may occasionally transfer your personal information overseas. For example, our bulk email distributor, Mailchimp is based in the USA so we transfer email records to them for our monthly e-news and other updates. Their systems are in compliance with The General Data Protection Regulation.
We may disclose to third parties aggregate statistics regarding donations but these statistics do not include any personally identifying information. The information given includes: total number of donors, total amount of donations for specific periods of time, and referring websites. Aggregate information of this kind is used to improve our fundraising
We use a third-party financial institution to process our credit card transactions. They receive the credit card number and other personal information of our donors only to verify credit card numbers and to process credit card transactions in a secure environment.
We will keep information such as your name and address to ensure that we don’t mail you in the future if you have asked to be removed from our mailing lists.
We will keep your donation history and tax status on our database for 6 years as legally required for financial and Gift Aid auditing purposes.
We will keep some communication details where they are relevant to support administration of Gifts in Wills.
We will ensure that we hold the minimum amount of data to meet the purposes of supporting Send a Cow’s charitable mission and will hold historical data for analysis in an anonymised format so it is no longer linked directly to your personal information.
We will check your preferences with you every 24 months to ensure that you are still happy with the way that we contact you. You can make changes at any time by emailing us at email@example.com or call 01225 874222
You can ask us if we are keeping any personal data about you and you can also request to receive a copy of that personal data – this is called a Subject Access Request.
To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence before your request can be processed.
Please try to be as clear as possible about the information you are seeking.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request and proof of identity, you will receive a response from us within a month and you will be able to get copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
Supporter Relationship Manager
Send a Cow
The Old Estate Yard
Newton St Loe
Please note that repeated requests for a Subject Access Request could be subject to a small administrative charge to cover our costs.
Necessary CookiesThese cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
Functionality CookiesOur ordering system is set up to remember what you are purchasing for only one visit. For example, if you are purchasing several gifts, our system will keep track of what you are purchasing while you make your selections. To allow you to keep the items in your basket, we utilise temporary cookies to process your order.
EmailsTo enable us to determine which of our emails are more interesting to our users, Send a Cow emails may contain a single tracking pixel. This pixel can allow us to see whether emails are opened and also which links people click the most. The pixel will be deleted when you delete the email. If you do not wish the pixel to be downloaded to your device, please set your email client to receive plain text emails from us.
We value feedback and you have a right to object to how we process your personal information to support our charitable mission through marketing and research. If you have a concern at any time, please contact our Supporter Care team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Send a Cow
The Old Estate Yard
Newton St Loe
If you wish to lodge a complaint or seek advice from a supervisory authority, please contact the:
Information Commissioner's Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number