At Emerge Poverty Free, we value your support and we are committed to protecting your privacy.
We want to help you understand how we use the information we hold about you and how you can get in touch with us about your preferences.
We adhere to all applicable laws concerning the protection of your personal data and in line with your rights as an individual. As part of our data protection policies, you must be 18 years of age or over to make a donation through our website.
Please read the information below to find out more.
We are registered as a Charity in England and Wales and our registration numbers are 1045672.
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office, and our Data Protection Register number is: Z6573683. Any data that we collect will be used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation which comes into force on 25th May 2018
Any electronic direct marketing communications will be made in accordance with the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR)
If you have any queries about this Notice or how we process your personal information please contact our Supporter Care Team
Write: Emerge Poverty Free, 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH
Call: 020 7839 3854
Alternatively, as we are part of the Send a Cow merged organisation, you can contact email@example.com to raise any matter with our shared Data Protection Group.
- The right to be informed how Personal Data is processed
- The right of access to your Personal Data
- The right to edit and update your personal information
- The right to have your personal information deleted
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to object
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
- The sections below explain more about how Emerge Poverty Free processes your data in line with your rights as an individual.
We collect the personal information you provide us with as part of online purchases and donations, through donation forms, e-newsletter sign up’s, registering for events, surveys and meetings with our staff.
We also collect how you want to hear from us (your preferences)
The personal information we collect may include:
- Title & Name
- Postal address, email address, telephone number and mobile number
- Family & spouse/partner details, relationships to other donors or organisations
- Current interests and activities relevant to Emerge Poverty Free’s work and our fundraising
We also collect and hold information about the contact you make and activities you take part in with Emerge Poverty Free and this may consist of:
- Donation details
- Online purchase details
- Event registration/attendance
- Direct Debit details where applicable
- Gift Aid status
- Gifts in Will information
- Details of correspondence sent to you or received from you
- Responses to surveys sent to you
- Any other information provided by yourself that is relevant to your relationship with Emerge Poverty Free
In addition, for a small number of contacts, we may carry out further research using publicly available sources to understand how we can communicate in a meaningful way. Please contact us to find out more about why and how we carry out research.
We may process the personal information you provide or that we may collect from publicly available sources to support our legitimate interest in delivering emerge poverty free’s charitable mission. We process data to enable us to administer your donations correctly, and to help us build a positive relationship by contacting you in a way that is personal and relevant to support our fundraising. This also helps emerge poverty free to be as efficient as possible in using its resources for marketing and other contact with supporters.
We will only process your data where we have a legal basis to do so. You have a right to object to how we use your data and can change your preferences at any time by contacting us.
There are some communications that we are required to send regardless of your preferences. These are essential communications, deemed necessary to fulfil our legal and administrative obligations to you. This would include Direct Debit confirmations and advanced notices, thank you letters, Gift Aid confirmation letters and querying returned mail, incomplete cheques or bounced Direct Debit payments with you.
There may be occasions where we are required to collect your email and telephone number to complete an order such as on our website. In these cases we will always ask for your permission to use that information for other purposes such as sending you marketing communications.
In order to claim Gift Aid on your donations from the HMRC, we need to hold records of your name and address, your tax status and donation details. Ensuring this information is accurate ensures that we claim Gift Aid correctly and can increase the value of the donations you give to us.
We may hold information about your particular areas of interest so we can send information to you about those aspects of our work. For example if you tell us you have a particular link with Kenya, we may then contact you in the future about a new Kenya project we are setting up.
We hold your address details so that we can post newsletters, appeals and other information to you. We will also hold your address information on our database so that if you request us to no longer contact you, we can keep a record to ensure we remove you from any mailings in the future.
All the information we keep is stored on a secure database held on a server within the EU. If you donate from outside of the UK, your data will be stored on this system and in line with European Data Protection Directives.
Depending on your relationship with emerge poverty free, and the preferences you have indicated, data we hold may be used by us for the following purposes to support emerge poverty free's charitable mission and for your benefit to ensure that we process your donation correctly and contact you in a way that is personal and relevant. Whenever we process data we will always consider your personal rights and you have a right to object to the way that we use your data if you wish by contacting us here:
Post: 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH Telephone: 020 7839 3854 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sending you promotional, marketing or fundraising information by post, telephone or electronic means.
These types of communications can include:
- News and updates about emerge poverty free, such as our Newsletter and monthly e-newsletters.
- Fundraising appeals or to ask you to consider supporting us in other ways such as taking part in events
- Other relevant communications based upon your relationship with emerge poverty free
- Informing you of other activities, or events related to emerge poverty free such as volunteering, retail and corporate partnerships
- Data screening and cleansing. We regularly review our records to ensure they are as accurate as possible. We may consult alternative sources in order to undertake these checks such as:
- Royal Mail National Change of Address database (NCOA) to ensure that we don’t send mail to old addresses
- Deceased Records (eg. Mortascreen) to ensure that we do not cause upset by contacting somebody who has recently deceased
- That you live in a particular postcode catchment near to an event we are holding
- That you previously gave to a match funded appeal (such as DFID Aid Match) which we have the opportunity to repeat
- To send you surveys, and for market research purposes
- Tailoring what we tell you about.
We may use existing data about your previous engagement with emerge poverty free to find relevant information for particular activities or to tailor communication. Examples might be:
- Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of our communications with you, including email tracking, which records when an e-newsletter from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message. The data from this tracking is generally used in an aggregated and anonymized form.
- Research to help us understand our donors and potential donors
If you do not want emerge poverty free to do research or profiling work in relation to your information, you can tell us on the details above. To help you decide, the following explains how and why we do this work and in what circumstances.
Being targeted and appropriate in our fundraising is more cost effective for emerge poverty free, helping us to support more farming families in Africa.
We may combine the information you have given us with other publicly available information using sources such as The Charity Commission, Companies House and company websites. We will use this information to create a profile of your interests and preferences, where they are relevant to engaging with emerge poverty free. We do this to help us determine whether and in what ways you might be interested in helping us. Examples might be:
- That you are a director of a company with an agricultural focus
- That you are a trustee of a grant making trust that exists to support development work in Africa
- That you are a known philanthropist with an interest in and potential to give to our work
Our Emerge Poverty Free fundraising staff carry out this work in house. Such research would be carried out where we have an opportunity to engage at a significant level or depth (so we do not research or profile the majority of our donors or other interested parties). Examples might be:
- When you are meeting with our CEO or a trustee or engaging with our Senior Advisory Group
- When you have been referred by an existing high level emerge poverty free donor in your peer group who has introduced you to our work and you would like to meet with us
- When you have self-identified through a high level gift or other senior level engagement
We also do this work to try to minimize any negative impact on your relationship with emerge poverty free. Examples might be:
- Asking for a donation or an inappropriate level of donation
- Trying to engage you in activities about which you have no interest or no influence
- Where you are not already an emerge poverty free supporter, we will provide this privacy notice to you at the first available opportunity after any engagement with you.
If you have any questions about our supporter research work or if you would like to tell us more about yourself and your interests in relation to emerge poverty free please get in touch.
When we ask you for your personal information, we will let you know why we are asking and how we will use your data. We do this in a short information notice on all our printed and online forms and by directing you towards this notice. For example if you provide us with your telephone and email address by completing those details on a form, the information notice will explain how we will use those details to contact you.
You can change how we use the information you have provided to us at any time by letting us know your preferences. Email email@example.com or call us on 020 7839 3854.
We will keep information such as your name and address to ensure that we don’t mail you in the future if you have asked to be removed from our mailing lists.
We will keep your donation history and tax status on our database for 6 years as legally required for financial and Gift Aid auditing purposes.
We will keep some communication details where they are relevant to support administration of Gifts in Wills.
We will ensure that we hold the minimum amount of data to meet the purposes of supporting emerge poverty free’s charitable mission and will hold historical data for analysis in an anonymised format so it is no longer linked directly to your personal information.
We will check your preferences with you every 24 months to ensure that you are still happy with the way that we contact you. You can make changes at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8939 3854.
You can ask us if we are keeping any personal data about you and you can also request to receive a copy of that personal data – this is called a Subject Access Request.
To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving license before your request can be processed.
Please try to be as clear as possible about the information you are seeking.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request and proof of identity, you will receive a response from us within a month and you will be able to get copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
Supporter Relationship Manager, Emerge Poverty Free, 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH
Please note that repeated requests for a Subject Access Request could be subject to a small administrative charge to cover our costs.
Please contact our Supporter Care team to make any updates to your information by emailing email@example.com or write to:
Supporter Care Team, Emerge Poverty Free, 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH
Ensuring we have the right personal information is really important to us. If you wish to correct any information on you held by Emerge Poverty Free please contact us on the details above.
If you want to ask us to stop processing your personal data, we may continue to store your data to meet financial and other requirements. We will retain enough of your personal information to ensure that your request can be respected in the future.
If you want us to delete your data, please note that permanently removing your details means that we cannot guarantee to not contact you as we will no longer hold a record of your request.
We value feedback and you have a right to object to how we process your personal information to support our charitable mission through marketing and research. If you have a concern at any time, please contact our Supporter Care team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Emerge Poverty Free, 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH
If you wish to lodge a complaint or seek advice from a supervisory authority, please contact the:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
We regularly review our privacy practices and this notice, and may make changes from time to time. Any changes made will be posted to this page, and will apply from the time we post them. We will inform you directly of any significant changes.
This privacy notice was last updated on 10th May 2018